Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Little More of the Nitty Gritty

Well, yesterday, I wrote about the children, barely scratching the surface, for sure. So today, I thougt a little info on the parents of these precious children would be good.

Sheldon is still working in the great City of Durham, awaiting his promotion to Sergeant. He recently left the homicide unit and went back on the street to patrol. He loves his job....most days.

As a family we are adjusting to shift work again. Funny, a few years ago I was pretty good at doing the single parent thing when Sheldon worked nights. We (me and the kids) would do things, go places, see people while he worked. The kids listened to me, I was good at being the disciplinarian. Then Sheldon went on a 9-5 schedule for a couple of years. I sort of had the opportunity to step back and be the sweet mommy, one that could say, "Wait until your father gets home." See, when Sheldon worked nights, I was determined that I would handle things here at home, and NEVER wait for him to come home to handle the problems. I did not think that was fair. Now, I am certaintly not saying that I did not vent, A LOT, about how the kids had drove me crazy, or how the they had been whiny, or one had been sick, or they were fighting, or when they were babies, how they had cried all night. As much as I did not want to depend on Sheldon while he worked, wanting him to be able to focus 100% on his job, I did lean on him often. But what I did not do, was to expect him to come home and punish the children if they needed it for something they had done on my watch.

Now that he is back on shift work, and gone for several nights straight, me and the kids are learning how to co-exist. Seriously. Sometimes I think those two children have meetings on how to get momma crazy(ier). They sneak in each others room while I am sleeping and plot things agianst me. They send morse code messages. Maybe they pass notes, I don't know, but I can assure you, something goes on between those too.

I moved my office from the Raleigh location to the Durham location. This has been a great move for me. I drive so much less. I was in the car for over an hour each way, now, I am not even in my car long enough to put my dang make up on. (Yes, I am that crazy women trying to put her mascara on at the stop light.)

I work normal hours, which works great with all the running we have to do every night of the week. Chase has swim practice 3-4 times a week, Mac has dance twice a week, and I have Yoga on Monday nights. Sheldon and I take turns with the swim practices. I perfer for Sheldon to take him, becuase when I take him, Mac goes with me, and for one hour and forty five minutes, she is on Misson Drive Mama Absolutly Crazy With Random Questions. No kidding. In the future I will journal some of the questions, amazing questions no doubt.

As a family, our life is pretty routine. Monday's I do yoga, come home. Tuesdays Chase has swim, Mac has dance. Wednesday is our free night. Thursday nights Chase has swim, and Mac has dance and tumble class. Friday nights, more swimming for Chase. Saturday morning....more swimming. Sunday evenings, we go to Granddaddy's for supper with the whole family. And then we start over.....

Just a few side notes about us....
  • Sheldon and I have been together since 1991, and were married in 1994. We will be married 14 years in September.
  • I am 34 years old, Sheldon is 33. Both of us have birthdays coming up this spring/summer....which means.....I am about to be 35 years old. Oh my God!
  • For hobbies, Sheldon likes to play racket ball, play video games with Chase, and read comics. He is also enjoys working out.
  • For hobbies, I like photography.
  • I recently began practicing yoga, and really think I have found a new passion.

Sheldon is working tonight, Mackenzie is spending the night with her cousin. Chase is snoring beside me right now. So far it has been a really good weekend. Very laid back.

Mac spent the night with Taylor last night too, she called me tonight, I was so glad to hear her sweet voice....until she said, "I called to talk to dad, where is he?" "Work," I said. "Tell him to call me, okay? Okay, goodbye." Well........goodnight sweetie, I love you sweetie, see you tomorrow sweetie.....I thought as I heard the phone go dead on the other end.

Daddys Girl!!

No comments: