Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Family Tree

Yesterday, I was informed that one of my great uncles had passed away. I have not seen him in many years, as he does not live around here. Over dinner last night, I was telling Sheldon about his passing and how he was related to me. I got some confusing looks from Chase.

He waited until Sheldon and I stopped talking and then he asked me in so many words, how was I, he, related to so many different people, why did I talk about step people, etc.

Wow...that is such a hard question. Truth is I must have one of the most sorted families I know of. Sheldon teases me, but last night, he tried to explain his family tree, I got pretty lost pretty quickly. Sheldon's father was adopted. He had 3 blood siblings. He had 4 siblings in his adoptive family. Sheldon has met all his "true" aunts and uncles, and actually spent a lot of time with them growing up. Sheldon is very close to his cousins from his dad's adoptive family. Sheldon's mom has 3 sisters and a brother. I have never been clear on how many cousins he has on that side.

My dad's family, well, I mean his siblings and parents. My dad has one brother and a twin sister. I have 3 cousins on that side. These 3 cousins now have 4 kids amongst them.

My dad has been married three times, providing me with a total of 3 step sisters, and one step brother, also providing me with 7 step nieces.

I have one brother, and a niece from his first marriage. (Who is the apple of my eye)

My mom had 6 siblings. I have 12 cousins. Between the twelve cousins as well as my brother and I, there are ultimately 13 great grandchildren.

My mom remarried after my dad, I have a step-sister and a step-brother, I have one step-nephew from the step brother.

When I add all these up...oh my lord. I am related to....omg....47 people, with only about 4-5 of these that live far away...far away means 1-3 hours away. This of course is not including the my second cousins and their children. Everyone else lives in the same town. I live in a small town...I guess now I realize why every time we go some where we see someone that I talk to, the kids always ask me, how do you know them? I say, I am related, they ask, how? I give them a look, and usually say it is a long story. Which it is...a reeeeeaaaaallllyyyy long story.

No comments: