Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Christmas Story...at the Perkins' House Anyway

It went something like this:
The setting: 1:20 am, Sheldon is sitting at the desk, working hard and diligent, preparing Chase’s Ipod for the big reveal, wanting it to be all set up when the boy received it. A few curse words here, a few curse words there. A few memories of the days of putting toys together on Christmas Eve and thinking that was a pain in the arse.
Here is the way the conversations leading up to the exciting opening of Santa’s loot.
1:30am- Michelle: Sheldon, please just give up, let me wrap it and let’s go to bed.
Sheldon: Heavy sighing, little mumbling….
Michelle: We need to go to bed; it is just a matter of hours before we will be summoned by the kids.
Sheldon: Fine, but it is not ready, so I will just leave it hooked up, I will set the alarm and get up in one hour to make sure it is complete, then you can wrap it.
Michelle: Fine
{The time is now 2am}
Mackenzie: Mom, is it time?
Mom: NOO, go back to sleep.
{The time is not 2:14}
Chase: Mom is it time?
Mom: NOO, go back to sleep.
{The time is now 2:45am}
Mackenzie: Mom, is it time?
Mom: NOO, go back to sleep.
{The time is not 2:57}
Chase: Mom is it time?
Mom: NOO, go back to sleep.

At this point, I realize that there is no sleep in my future, so, get up…but wait, the Ipod is still not wrapped. I must sneak past the kid’s bedroom, retrieve it, go into kitchen and wrap it. I feel like I am a guest character on Mission Impossible as I work my way to the kitchen passing both of their rooms. I get the present wrapped, and head back to bed, thinking maybe I have at least a half hour.
{The time is now 3:16am}
Mackenzie: Mom, is it time?
Mom: NOO, go back to sleep.
{The time is not 3:24am}
Chase: Mom is it time?
Mom: NOO, go back to sleep.
Realizing that I will never get any sleep now, I roll over, nudge Sheldon, telling him to wake up, he grumbles loudly IN HIS SLEEP, cause he has escaped all this fun of waking every time my eyes closed. My theory was if we just got up, let the kids have their loot, perhaps I could get at least an hour of sleep before having to get up to go to D2’s at 8am.
The next time Chase entered, (3:30am) we got up. Sheldon was still grumbling as we made our way through the house to get to the living room.
The kids were way excited, the smiles and shouts of enthusiasm made it all worth it…mostly.
We laid back down for a catnap around 5am, arising again at 7am to go to our next designation to receive a few more cool presents. It is now 1:19am, now December 26th, and I am so tired, I cannot sleep…yeah me. Sheldon apparently does not have the same problem as he is snoring, sucking all the air out of our room…maybe I am not sleep deprived, maybe it is the air I am deprived of????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is crazy! I hope that you guys got some more sleep!

Ms. Sarah said...

i hope your mia is because you are sleeping. hugs sarah