Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Here We Go, Ready Or Not

NOT!!!! We went to open house at the middle school tonight. I cannot wrap my head around the fact that my little boy is going to middle school. It makes me pretty sad. He seemed to actually do pretty good, considering he has been very nervous about this big step. It did help that he got to buy gym clothes, and a cool gym bag. It also helped that he got to spend the day with his best friend, J, and they have two classes together this semester.

Friday he goes to school for a sixth grade orientation. This is suppose to be a fun event. They will meet all their teachers, a little more personally. They will take tours of the school, have a lunch, and Lord only knows what else. It is a full day, which I hate, being that is their last day of summer break.

Chase has not had much time to think about all the logistics of this orientation, since he has an invite to come to J's house and ride with him to school, then J's Mom is going to pick them up, and Chase has been invited to spend the night with them. I am very thankful to J's Mom, I do think that hanging out with J has helped ease Chase's mind. He and J laugh and cut up constantly when they are together. I like J. He is a cool kid....and he is even nice to Kenzie. I like his mother too, we have a great time together as well.

Mackenzie had open house tonight, at the exact time of Chase's...who plans this crap. I was trying to figure out how I was going to juggle this. Sheldon has had three bad nights of work, he could not possibly go in late tonight, Aunt J that is always a big help to us, she works at a different school, that had open house as well. The only option was to sprout wings and fly. Great, I will just add that to my list of things to do now.

Just when I was about to go into panic mode, I was saved. My dear friend, that does not even have a child at our elementary school volunteered to take Mac for her open house. I felt bad, that is until I talked to Kenz, explaining my dilemma to her, and then she tells me that she thinks that is great idea, she actually thought that would be more fun...so, she basically just told me she did not need me. Ooooookay.

I felt bad to some degree, but since I have known Mac's teacher from childhood, I did not really feel that I had to go in there with my normal interrogation making sure we were on the same page, and that my child was the most important one in there...(they usually just agree with me, all the while they are thinking, "This mom has lost her ever living mind). I felt like as long as she saw her cubby, her desk, her newly decorated classroom, we would be in good shape. It seemed surprising to my friend that EVERYONE knew Mac, and me...well, first reason is because most of these people have lived in this same town their entire life, as I have. Secondly, I have been an officer on the PTA the past 4 years. Third, I am that mom that is in the know, I want to know every detail on every teacher. I stalk them. I have known each school year, usually within the first nine weeks, what teacher I would like for my kids to have the following school year. And our previous teachers, they know us well, hell, they get emails from me sometimes twice a week. I am THAT mom that wants to know how they are doing. Mostly with Chase since he has had some difficulty in reading, but I check up on Kenz too.

Oh, and I love to pick them up from after school care, and as soon as they get all buckled up and we start down the road, I love to say, "So how was that math test that you failed to mention to me? or You have a disagreement with your friend S today? You both had to move your card?" I love the look in their eyes. They are frantically thinking of a story, but Mom already knows...how, that just happened like 1 hour ago, she works 30 minutes away, how on earth. How you ask, "Mom's know everything."

Here we come, very nervous, very worried, a little excited, and a lot anxious. And then there is the child that just doesn't seem to be affected. Did not even care if I was there or not. Independent, yeah, that is what I will keep telling myself.

No comments: