Wednesday, July 16, 2008

OMG---I Swear, We Are Still Here...

So, Life....how busy can one get...it seems like when I think we are filled to capacity on our calendar, we add more.

The kids are-no were winding down. Swim season ended this past weekend, but as soon as I think things are ending, my friend talks me into letting Mac go to dance camp every afternoon this week. But...she loves it and selfishly, I do to, cause I will get to see my friend each afternoon when I pick her up. Last night, after a HORRIBLE day, Sheldon picked Mac up, and when he arrived home, he delivered me a glorious piece of Chocolate cake with white icing and red yummy cherries that my friend had sent to me. I almost cried, even though I knew she was sending it, just because it was another reminder to me that she is a wonderful friend that knew I had a horrible day, and she knew by sending me a little piece of cake, I would enjoy a few minutes, okay less than one, but I would enjoy each bite and my day would look a little brighter. It worked. I mean, really, chocolate cake for dinner makes everyone smile, right?

So Swim Champs was this weekend. The kids did really well. Mac swam on Friday night. For those who might not know, Mac hates swimming. She begs not to do swim team every year, but I make her. Why? Well, it cost all of $65.00 to join. The practices are from the end of May through the first part of July. Not a very long season at all. Practice is everyday, however. (Not that we went but that is my next story). So, the way I see it, if I have to be there waiting for practice to be over, I should have a little me time, time for me to reflect, time to read a book, time to not do anything, and if she is not swimming, well, then the time I sit changes to occupying her, telling her that I know she is hot, I am sorry, having her interrupting my quiet time with off the wall stories....anyway...that is why she swims. Also, she gets great instruction that she would never get without swim team.

So....anyway, we have Champ Friday night. My "I hate swimming" child wins first place in her Freestyle heat and her Breast Stroke heat. I am so proud I am about to burst. She acts as if it is no big deal, later I realized that she probably did that on purpose, cause if we know she is good at it, she will be made to do it more...

Saturday, our natural born swimmer, the child that loves to swim every day, swims his champs. He does very well. He swims in the later heats now, which means that his times are shorter so his competition is really tough. He received 20th place in his freestyle which is really awesome. There are a lot of kids swimming in his division. I think 84.

This swim season was a little tough on us this year. There were a couple of issues that I won't bore you with,but never the less, we did not participate as much this year as we have in years past. We did not stay of any of the potluck dinners that was after home meets, we did not do the big Spaghetti Dinner the night before Champs, we did not even go to many practices. We used the fact that Chase had swam all year long as a good enough excuse that he would swim decent at the meets, and Mac did not want to be there anyway...so screw it.

Before going to the banquet on Saturday night, I decided that I should be motherly and protect my young from hurt. See, I was afraid that after the season we had had that the kids would not be recognized very much. So....we go into the banquet, have a decent dinner, and then it is time for trophies and awards.

There is a tradition for Paper Plate Awards, which is an award that the coach makes special for each team member. Mac's plate says "Pretty in Pink" because her coach says she always wears pink...I haven't noticed, bad Mom that I am. Chase gets the "Strong Man" award, his has a muscle man drawn on it. Pretty cute.

They both get their trophies for the season. Then comes the special awards. Mackenzie gets the MVP award, which is a very nice plaque. Then Chase gets the Coach's Award from his coach. His coach talked about how he was such a pleasure and how he wanted to do so well, he had even stayed late one afternoon to practice his starts....it was a very proud moment for us.

We get to our car and Sheldon starts to laugh and tells the kids he had faith in them the entire time, it was their mommy that did not think they did well. I wanted to hit him up side his handsome head!!!! Thankfully the kids laughed!

No comments: