Sunday, July 27, 2008

Seriously? Just Pee Over There....

I know as a parent I have told my children to do some odd things, or things that others might find odd. I don't think I have ever been as odd as some of the parenting I witnessed this past week. I will preface this with the fact that I know, without a doubt in my mind, I am not even close to be half perfect at parenting. But....OMG!

The first thing I witnessed was this Mom who apparently had a child that was pouty. I have one of those sometimes, so I can certainly understand that it can be trying. Apparently this Mom had a "different" way of dealing with her pouty child. Every time this little girl, maybe about 7-8 years old, became pouty, the mom whipped her camera out and started taking multiple pictures, while saying loud enough for the rest of us to hear, "Oh, let me take more pictures of you at the beach crying. I cannot wait til the first day of school, I am taking all these pictures in to show everyone in your class how much of a baby you are."

I took 583 pictures, no exaggeration, at the beach this year. I looked through all of them once again, I do not have one single picture of anyone pouting. I try to avoid those pictures, as I want my kids to look back at these pictures all through the year and remember how much fun we had. I cannot imagine this child being excited about her beach pictures.

Another thing that I witnessed this week was this young girl, maybe about 9 years old, who had a serious wardrobe malfunction. She might as well just left her top in the room, as she continuously flashed everyone. Her mother was in the pool with her, playing with her, riding the slide with her, and never once fixed it. I was about to go over and fix it myself. It was driving me crazy.

Then, as my family was lying out at the pool, just enjoying ourselves, Jane overhears a conversation that is taking place a few feet away from us. It is a conversation between a mom and her daughter, about 8 years old.

Little Girl: Mom, I have to pee.
Mom: Okay, go over to those bathrooms over there.
Little Girl: NOOOO, they stink.
Mom: They stink?
Little Girl: Yes
Mom: Then just pee over there.
Little Girl: (takes about three steps away from where she was, and yes...she peed)

Right there, right in front of the 50 or so people enjoying the pool. Just took a few steps away and let it rip, right on the cement.

I know this is going to be hard to believe but the Mom and Little Girl were the same family as the photogenic whiny girl.

Sometimes, I feel like my parenting skills are awesome!

1 comment:

Tired Mom of Six said...

Ok, the bratty mom with the camera...bad choice of words for sure. Everyone has a bad day - even kids.

Um, peeing on the cement around the pool? That is the most disgusting thing I've heard of and beyond lazy. EWWWWW. I mean as a kid, I didn't always go into the house, but I certainly didn't pee on the cement around the pool.

Totally grossed out now...and disgusted.