Monday, July 28, 2008

Parasailing...

We went parasailing last week, on Tuesday afternoon. The weather was a little questionable before we left for the dock. As we arrived, it seemed that the storm was pretty far off, so off we went.

In our party was Me, Chase, Mackenzie, Jennie, our close friend, Jane, my sister in law, and my niece Callie. I really had wondered if Chase would follow through with his bravery once we arrived, but then realized that "his" Jennie was going with us, and he would jump off a high building just to impress her, so my doubts were soon proven to be wrong.

I was not sure the line up for going up. I wanted to go with both of my kids, but knew that we would have to split up. Chase spoke up and wanted to go with me, and Mackenzie was hanging all over Jennie. It was unclear who would go up with Callie, since Jane was simply there for the ride and scenery.

Chase and I went up first. I never knew how this all worked out, so let me explain. You first get your life jacket on and then they hook this harness to you. It sort of felt like a diaper, I am not sure why. Once we were out in the sound and it was time to "go up" we went to the back of the boat. We were hooked on these straps. Once the wind was strong enough it sent the parachute sailing through the air, and we were attached.

This was the adrenaline part of the trip. Once up in the air, we just floated up there....which was pretty awesome....for the first 5 minutes, then we were just up there. I guess I am an adrenaline junkie, so I was really looking for more. I probably set my expectations a little high. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time. It was really beautiful and to be able to do this with my kids was a great experience in itself.

I knew that I was only going up with one of my children, and was happy that they chose and I did not have to. In the end it was probably really great that I went with Chase and Mac went with Jennie.

While up in the air, many feet away from civilization, my dear son just says out of the blue, "Mommy, I love you so much." It was so priceless, and it made the parasailing even more special. I will always remember that tender moment.

While Mac is in the air with Jennie, after only a few minutes up, she tells Jennie, "Okay, I am bored." It is probably perfect that I was not up with her. I might would have screamed! But thinking about it later, she too is my adrenaline loving child and was quite pissed off because she could not ride in "upside down" roller coasters at Carowinds last year, I should not be surprised that she felt this way.

Next Callie and Chase went up. They seemed to enjoy themselves, smiling the entire time. I know that as they get older they will remember this adventure.

Jane enjoyed her boat ride, watching each of us fly up in the air. She was perfectly content to just ride and watch.

We took lots of pictures, I mean lots, the only problem is, most of them look exactly the same! I bet we have over 100 pictures, and only about 10-15 that you can actually tell who is actually parasailing. Oh well....thank God for digital!

3 comments:

Tired Mom of Six said...

Ah - so envious! Sounds so cool (even to this height hater)!

Chase sounds like a little love bug. Enjoy it! :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a blast. I would be peeing my pants (not on the cement though) going up that high but my dh tells me its wicked relaxing. :)

rachel said...

I've always wanted to try parasailing. Some day!

Chase is such a sweet boy.